Steve Nolan's Super Deluxe GS12 from ~1977

Have a Time guitar? Submit your pictures here!
There's 600 guitars out there. We've got pictures of a few of them. It's rare to find more than 2 or 3 that are identical. So please post.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Steve Nolan's Super Deluxe GS12 from ~1977

Postby ChrisClark on Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm

This has a very rare center pickup. custom inlay and 'Flight Strip' binding.

Notice the 2 selector switches. The lower horn switch controls the center pickup. It's positions are: Center only, Center off, and center with bridge & neck pickups.
This is how the majority of the 3 pickup TimeCasters are wired.
Also notice the volume knob ABOVE the bridge. [center pickup]
I remember seeing the jigs for this guitar stored in the parts room at the Barn.

Thanks to SollyDad, this is Johnny Moore's guitar. It was at the Waltham shop for tune-up in 1976.

Last edited by ChrisClark on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Owner found...Sort of

Postby ChrisClark on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:17 am

I found a old website by Steve Nolan with this guitar.
Steve wrote.
"My stringed instrument collection is still headed by a handmade Time electric. It is the third from luthier Alan Stack that I have owned and by far the most ornate. It sports custom binding, mother of pearl inlay on an ebony board, a body reminiscent of a Les Paul with a double cutaway and completely passive electronics. The three custom pickups are wired with a mind boggling variety of split coil/phase possibilities. The guitar possesses 6 pots and 6 switches which should indicate that it is capable of a extemely wide variety of tonal characters. It's by far my favorite stage guitar. "

I've also found an interesting website by Robin James.

http://www.robinjamesmusic.com/bio.html

Steve Nolan's GI-10 Manifesto http://pages.slic.com/snolan/
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby Steve Nolan on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:56 pm

Hmm... interesting. The second shot was taken on 10/11/81... I remember it well. It was my wedding. Here's one taken 23 years later. Same bassist.

Steve Nolan
Time Guitar Owner

Thanks for Posting

Postby ChrisClark on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting.
Can you tell some more history on your guitars?
This Guitar looks like Johnny Moore's guitar. [Check the History section with SollyDad's posts.
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby Steve Nolan on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:20 pm

To the best of my knowledge, all three of my Times were from the Vergennes barn. The one I have now, pictured here, was originally custom made for a friend named Steve LaValley.

I was playing a similar, standard wood finish, 2 pickup version during the mid to late 70's while playing all over New England after my first TimeCaster was stolen at a gig at Dartmouth in Hanover, NH. I made many stops to the Vergennes location because I liked the strings they were selling. I also had a habit of wearing out one corner of the plastic pickup cover on the neck pickup... so I stopped in for replacements.

This one came into my possession in 1981. I'm not sure what journey it took from Steve to me... but the price I paid was pretty ridiculous. You couldn't buy a used mexican strat (now) for what I paid for this thing in '81.
Steve Nolan
Time Guitar Owner

Postby ChrisClark on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:06 am

Hey Steve,
The Vergennes barn was actually a really nice Victorian House. Google to the rescue...This is now called the Woodman Hill Bed&breakfast.

Is Steve LaValley the guy that sawed off a wing of his Time V to look like a Randy Rhoads? Talk about having a shit hemorrhage! The horror!
This is the Schaller Model 170N pickup cover. These are the closest match I've found.Image
Check them out at the Schaller website. You should be able to found these at many fine musical retailers.

Used Times are still a bargain. I've brought them for a few hundred. Not many people realize what they have. I hope this site changes that.

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby Steve Nolan on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 pm

I don't think Steve would have owned a V. As I recall he had two GS's and an acoustic built... found himself financially over stretched and sold one of the GS's.

Those covers are pretty close. The last time I stopped in Vergennes for one, a guy dug one up and said... this is it... last one in the shop. We're using different stuff now so there won't be anymore. I still have that one in the original case that came with the guitar... although the guitar itself resides in an Anvil ATA flight case.
Steve Nolan
Time Guitar Owner

Postby Steve Nolan on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:08 am

I haven't really touched the site where you found the first pic in this tread in almost 9 years. It was kind of an experimental design using a ColdFusion based development application that I lost the ability to edit easily years ago... but I gave it another shot yesterday and managed to get some of it into Dreamweaver. I updated a little personal information and added a link back here. Hope it helps some.
Steve Nolan
Time Guitar Owner

Dawn of Midi

Postby ChrisClark on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Hey Steve, thanks for the link.

Last weekend I ventured into my basement and retrieved my aging GM-70. I have this temporarily mounted on my Time Mini-Caster. It still works & it tracks quite nicely! I'm running it through my Casio CZ-1000 and Roland U-110. If I find the time, I drag out the Atari ST520 with C-Lab Creator.
God, I sound old here, and yes my 1st computer was also a Timex/Sinclair.

LaValley, LaVigne? I remember now that it's Brad LaVine with the V.

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Re: Steve Nolan's GS12 from early 70's

Postby Steve Nolan on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:51 pm

It looks like someone has added the pic of Moore's guitar since I was last here. If I recall he used to play for The Jimmy Carter band back in the day... before he was replaced by another old buddy... Jay Johnson. Moore's was the first Time I ever saw and the minute I saw it I knew I had to have something as close as possible. I think I did well.

Now that some memory engrams are working better, I think before they were The Jimmy Carter Show, with Jay... they were SASS with Moore.
Steve Nolan
Time Guitar Owner

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to User submitted Photos