New PT1-56X

Have a Time guitar? Submit your pictures here!
There's 600 guitars out there. We've got pictures of a few of them. It's rare to find more than 2 or 3 that are identical. So please post.

Moderator: Moderator Team

New PT1-56X

Postby armycopter on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Well, I my dream has finally come true. I've been searching for a Prime Time for nearly 20 years. Thanks to ebay's automatic search function, it looks like I will finally own one. I've had a saved search running on ebay for years and this PT1 popped up last week. It's the first one I have seen. I owned one back in 1987 and sold it in 1989 and have been looking for one forever. Unfortunately, I apparently owned the "prototype" which I didn't know until a couple of years ago when Chris told me what it was based on my description (two pickups and no tremolo). Well, I spent a small fortune to get this one but I'm pretty stoked. It's not the same color as my original (kind of a greenish color), but that's ok. I'm still very pleased. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. And by wait, I mean for months. Even though it will arrive at my home in the next week or two, I am stuck in the middle east with the Army until probably January! The wait is going to be rough.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the seller on ebay...

armycopter
Time Guitar Owner

Re: New PT1-56X

Postby ChrisClark on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 pm

That's one sweet Prime Time, Armycopter!
I don't see any wear on the frets and the finish looks great. Not a 26 year old guitar at all. :wink:
I'm guessing it was built in 1986 with a maple body and a dark Indian Rosewood board. That's the Magenta candy finish.
I think it really represents the period well. You have a great story too.
Hope you can play it soon,
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby armycopter on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:08 am

Thanks Chris, what does the "X" mean in the serial number? PT1-56X

Could the seller just be mistaken on what he read? I have not seen an X in a serial number like that.

Do you think this was finished prior to Time closing the doors or before? What kind of pickup does it have (pressure wound or something else?).

Also, I see most of these with Kahler's... is there anything special with this one due to it's Floyd?

Lots of questions but I'm stuck over here just dreaming about it!
armycopter
Time Guitar Owner

Postby ChrisClark on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 am

Armycopter,
This is one of the last Times officially out of the barn. The pickup is likely a Duncan Distortion. When the Floyds were available, we would use them. They were the hot item. That color was too.
I remember building that guitar in a group of at least six. There was another group of Prime Times build in the same period/batch in the emerald green. Here is Daisybat's PT-1 #563 in Emerald green. We generally built in groups of six or twelve.
I think your serial number with the X is really a number. When I 1st saw your pics, I guessed number five-sixty- something.
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby armycopter on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Well, I finally made it home and got a chance to play this guitar. I must say that aside from a couple of chips in the paint, it's nearly mint. I think it has an ebony fingerboard. This guitar is a serious tone monster and plays fantastic. No buzzing and no dead areas at all. It's everything I had hoped for and more. Intonation is great too. It must have been set up before I got it. Oh, btw, the serial is PT1-562.

Mark
armycopter
Time Guitar Owner

Re: New PT1-562

Postby ChrisClark on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Mark,
Glad you're enjoying it!
BTW, The fingerboard is a really dark East Indian rosewood. Only the artist models had ebony/binding.
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to User submitted Photos