'86 AT-4 #540

Have a Time guitar? Submit your pictures here!
There's 600 guitars out there. We've got pictures of a few of them. It's rare to find more than 2 or 3 that are identical. So please post.

Moderator: Moderator Team

'86 AT-4 #540

Postby RickC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:53 am

I bought this AT-4 sometime back in the 90's, from Performance Music in Woburn MA. They said they were an authorized dealer back in the day. I was told by them that the body and neck were mahogany; does that make sense? It's pretty light, very resonant.

Also note the hang tag in the last pic; that looks like Paul's signature, no?

/rick

Last edited by RickC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickC
Time Guitar Owner

Postby RickC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:54 am

RickC
Time Guitar Owner

Postby RickC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:55 am

RickC
Time Guitar Owner

Postby RickC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:55 am

RickC
Time Guitar Owner

Postby RickC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:56 am

RickC
Time Guitar Owner

Re: '86 AT-4

Postby ChrisClark on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:43 pm

RickC wrote:I bought this AT-4 sometime back in the 90's, from Performance Music in Woburn MA. They said they were an authorized dealer back in the day. I was told by them that the body and neck were mahogany; does that make sense? It's pretty light, very resonant.

Also note the hang tag in the last pic; that looks like Paul's signature, no?

/rick

Hi Rick,

Glad you posted. All Times have Maple necks. Looking at the back picture...f you hold it up to the light and see very fine grain lines it's likely a Mahogany body. The Kahler & serial number 540 put it near the middle of production for the 'thru the back' controls guitars. Almost all the last guitars had Alder bodies, Floyd Roses and either one or three pickups. i.e What is now called the Super-Strat.

And yes, that is Paul's signature.

A note to all: Recently this board has been inundated with spammers trying to join. Rick, your email address and username looked legit. I automatically delete any user request that looks weird!

If anyone has trouble signing up, please send me an email directly. TimeAdmin@TimeGuitars.com

Again, thanks for posting.
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby RickC on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:56 am

Thanks Chris, good to know. I do see the grain lines through the finish.

Also, can anyone tell me what the controls are *supposed* to do? Mine behave in a non-intuitive manner.

/rick
RickC
Time Guitar Owner

Postby ChrisClark on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:20 pm

RickC wrote:Thanks Chris, good to know. I do see the grain lines through the finish.

Also, can anyone tell me what the controls are *supposed* to do? Mine behave in a non-intuitive manner.

/rick

Rick,

The front upper knob is a master volume. The back lower knob is a master tone. The back top knob is usually a bridge or neck volume. I don't remember which right now.

An easy way to tell is:
Turn up both volumes. set the selector switch to both pickups, then roll off the back volume knob. Note which pickup quiets down.

The selector switch is up for the neck, middle is both pickups, and down is the bridge pickup only.

Hope that clears things up!
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to User submitted Photos