Wiring Schematic Help

Topics related to the instrument's construction, schematics, & model identification.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wiring Schematic Help

Postby StuB on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:58 am

I am new to the forum and have been a long time owner of a GS; which I purchased from the Barn in the 80's. I hope to post some photos once I figure out how to do it. I have always wondered how the GS 9/12 were wired and hope that someone could pass along some of this technical information. I am trying to recreate the fantastic sound options found on these guitars. From the photos and description on the site I cannot figure out the wiring layout. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
StuB
New Posting User

Re: Wiring Schematic Help

Postby ChrisClark on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Welcome aboard. StuB

I have written about how the switching works on this post. You are correct in that the GS 9 & 12 have the same wiring setup.

If you need help on posting pictures, just send me a PM/email and I'll help you out. We're all about pictures here!

At some point, I need to post a schematic for the GS9/12 guitars. I have a early GS9 #69 that someone totally screwed up with a 'switch replacement gone horribly wrong' DIY project. When I get to that, I'll draw a new schematic.

Sorry, but I have some many projects going on right now that this forum and guitars in general have been pushed to the back.

But anywho, welcome and please post about your GS.
Thanks,
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby StuB on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 am

Chris:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll work on getting some photos posted later this week. I looked at the site related information about wiring but could not make the translation from how each switch works to actually wiring up a working model. I understand the coil drops but how the series/parallel and phase switch work and bypass the pick-up selector switch is beyond me. I’ve blow-up the photos to try to trace the wires but can’t quite get it to make sense. I'll keep an eye out for your future posting. Thanks again. When I bought my GS8 I didn’t have any extra cash for the 9 or 12 and have always wished that I purchased the GS9. Don’t get me wrong, I am thrill to have the beauty that I own, but the switching and sounds of the 9/12 made a lasting impression on me.
StuB
New Posting User

Postby ChrisClark on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Yeah, the GS8 is different than a 9. Not just the wiring.

The pickguard is larger to accommodate the extra switches.
    The pickguard has a longer lower 'horn' and a point behind the bridge to balance the design aesthetic.
    The body has a different, larger routing under the pickguard to accommodate the switches.

All this for just a few dollars more!
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The neck has a V-shape carved on the back.
    The body has a relief carved on the back for comfort.

We did all this to get you to buy up. Years later I heard the term, 'Up Selling'.
It's funny, In my Engineering job now I always up sell and I'm good at it.

And yes, the Master phase & Series/Parallel switching are magic. I think even after I post a schematic, most people will still be lost! Well, or not care...

If you do want a GS9, please sell your GS8 and buy a GS9. IMO, Trying to upgrade your original would fail and you'd ruin it's value.

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby StuB on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:26 am

I would not dream of messing with my GS8. I am tinkering around with guitar wiring and have a guitar I am building. Since I can't buy a GS9, I thought I'd try to recreate some of the sounds.
I didn't realize that there were neck and body differences between the 8 and 9. Thanks for adding to my buyers remorse (working on 20+ years now)!
StuB
New Posting User

Postby ChrisClark on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm

StuB wrote:I would not dream of messing with my GS8. I am tinkering around with guitar wiring and have a guitar I am building. Since I can't buy a GS9, I thought I'd try to recreate some of the sounds.
I didn't realize that there were neck and body differences between the 8 and 9. Thanks for adding to my buyers remorse (working on 20+ years now)!

Hey, Glad you're not considering any mods. The GS8 is a killer guitar. No need for buyer's remorse.

A word of caution to everyone...

[Soapbox]
I would suggest that anyone replacing parts / repairing your Times;

Don't throw away the old parts!
    Don't cut-up the pickguard, make a new one and save the old one.
    Don't put a whammy on a non-whammy Time.
    Keep all your parts so you can put your guitar back to original.
If someone really has to customize their guitar. Buy junker guitar and go to town.
[/Soapbox]

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to How they were made.