Price List 1976

This is the place to post ads, brochures, reviews in print, etc. The collection is growing, but it's not done yet.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Price List 1976

Postby SollyDad on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:02 pm

I found this when looking through my files.

Price List  a.jpg
Price List a.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 19909 times

Price list 1976  a.jpg
Price list 1976 a.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 19910 times
SollyDad
Worked at Time

Re: Price List 1976

Postby billsimmon on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:28 pm

I can't believe those prices! And note the spelling of "Time Kaster." Sollydad showed me this list last weekend and he indicated that Allan would have typed it himself. Does that mean we've all been spelling "Time Caster" (or Timecaster) wrong? Something to consider.

-Bill Simmon
GS-9 owner, serial#: GS9X-152 (1/83)
billsimmon
Time Guitar Owner

Re: Price List 1976

Postby ChrisClark on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Bill,
These guitars may even be a little pricey for 1976. Be aware that the guitar industry was in pretty deep trouble in the 1970's & 80's. Gibson almost went under. Hell of a time to start a guitar company in Vermont!
Here's the price of a Les Paul in 1975. Taken from HarpAmps.com
LES PAUL DELUXE+ -
Guitar, Solid Body, The Original Gold Finished Top with Natural Mahogany Sides
and Back. Also available in Wine Red and Cherry or Tobacco Sunburst* Finish.
Two "Humbucking" pickups..............580.00
535 - Faultless Shaped Case (Plush)....89.00

Alan may have thinking of legal action from Leo Fender at the time when he called his bolt-on guitars 'Time Kasters'.
Here is the GS 'Time Kaster'. Indeed the later TimeCaster is a very different guitar then the Watlham GS Time Kaster. It's model ID is 'TC" and the brochures at that time verify this.

It's interesting that the price list is calling out the single coil pickup. I have never seen a Time with single coil pickups from that period. Except for the 1st GS with the P-90 pickups. Also Johnny Moore's & Steve Nolan's guitars have a 3rd [middle] single coil pickup. I always thought these pickups were DeArmond pickups but have found that Schaller was producing these pickups in the early 70's.

This Schaller connection really makes sense if you look at the part choices Alan was making in 75. Bill Lawrence was at Gibson starting in 1971. He designed the the Gibson L6-S, the S1, and the Marauder guitars all before 1975. These guitars all use the Schaller Harmonica bridge [and the rest of the hardware] that Alan choose. Bill Lawrence was an innovator with his pickup and wiring designs during that period. Alan has told me that he held him in very high regard.

Sorry for the long winded post. If anyone knows more about this, please post,
Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to Time in print.