Johnny Winter's Advance Artist. #554

Have a Time guitar? Submit your pictures here!
There's 600 guitars out there. We've got pictures of a few of them. It's rare to find more than 2 or 3 that are identical. So please post.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Johnny Winter's Advance Artist. #554

Postby ChrisClark on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi All,
Here's a few shots of Johnny Winter's custom Advance Time. This guitar is part of the Willis Family Collection. Mr. Winter's guitar tech. sent this back to Time in 86 for some adjustments. This was right as Time was closing. Luckily this guitar and quite a few more were spared from the fire. The only person that's played this guitar is JW himself....

The guitar itself is made from Hawaiian Koa with a very fine Tiger-striped maple neck. It sports a bound ebony board and peghead. The scale length is 25 1/2". All hardware is Gold. The inlay is alternating Abalone and rare colored Pearl. The neck is more narrow than the standard Time, more like a Gibson Firebird. No big surprise there! The center pickup is a dummy. Johnny requested a Stratocaster like guitar sound, but never liked the center pickup. It got in the way. This guitar is exquisite! This is the only Advance Time I can think of with the full blown Artist trim.

This guitar was the 1st guitar Time built according to JW's request. Until then Mr. Winter had been using and endorsing the Headless IC and Explorers. We were working toward a 'Johnny Winter' model here. In hindsight, we should have taken pictures! I don't think any Winter/Time guitar pictures exist....

I recently saw the Willis Collection and will be providing more details soon. The big deal here is that many guitars survived the fire. I've been in shock the last few weeks.

Chris

ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Re: Johnny Winter's Advance Artist. #554

Postby mdampier on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi Chris,

Nice Photos! When I was at the Barn to purchase my Time (My Time [AT3 #598] Just missed the fire...), I remember being shown a Johnny Winter model. It was probably this one, but somehow I remember a walnut body version with no middle pickup route. Did you see one like that in the collection? ... Mike
mdampier
Time Guitar Owner

Postby ChrisClark on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Mike,

Thanks, I added the 'lyte' option for posting. It allows really big image links.

I think you saw this one. This is the only one in the collection. That doesn't mean there wasn't a Black Walnut version. I just don't remember it. Most of these [ALL] guitars went out the door within hours of the final setup.

I would like to see what's under that center pickup plate. The other two have the solid covers, I think there's something more than just plain single coils under them. You know, Mad luthier / Franken' pickups! There has to be a reason for that center routing.

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Postby jackjumper on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:42 am

I've been down to see the guitars that are left, so I'm looking forward to see them finally get out a bit! One thing about the Johnny Winter guitar - the action is really, really, high. Totally set up for that killer slide.

Does he still have the flame guitar? And the red and blue single humbucker Prime Times?
jackjumper
Time Guitar Owner

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to User submitted Photos